Have I mentioned how much I loved my lactation consultant Jayne? She was AMAZING.
John and I attended a breastfeeding class prior to delivery. I asked my OB if I needed to go to the prenatal class and she said I could skip it but did recommend the breastfeeding class. So, I dragged John to the class and it was informational and entertaining. When phrases like “nipple sandwich” are thrown around it was difficult to keep a straight face. Plus the model baby and nipple were far from realistic. John and I sat on the back row and tried not to laugh. One girl asked a question about milk let-down when other babies cry and John and I immediately looked at each other and thought of The Office episode where Kevin is crying in front of Pam’s breasts trying to get her milk to leak. And of course we love Kevin’s quote, “Well when a new mom hears a baby cry, her you-know-whats fill up with you-know-what? And then her shirt gets... you know ... That would be funny!” The instructor of the course was VERY enthusiastic about breast feeding.
Fast forward to our hospital stay. Here’s the part that may be TMI for many so you can stop reading here if you want. Eliza was doing well with breastfeeding and seemed to be latching well. But the problem was it hurt so bad when she would latch. We learned at the class that if it hurts, then we are doing it wrong. I asked each of my nurses for advice and they would look and say it looks like she is doing it right. On the day of my discharge the lactation consultant stopped by because I had a question about a pump and in walks the enthusiastic teacher from the class, Jayne! I immediately asked her to help us because I knew we were doing it wrong and my sore nipples couldn’t take it for much longer (TMI I know…). Well she spent some time with us prior to discharge and I was amazed how big of a help she was. She showed us what we were doing wrong and no more yelling every time the child latched on.
So of course we were so excited when we found out that Jayne was available to come for our home nurse visit. She came and helped us a little more with BFing. I love her. She definitely saved the day and I can’t imagine what those first few weeks would have been like without her.
Eliza weighing in at 6lb 14.5 oz.
Note: Eliza’s cord fell off at 5 days old!
No comments:
Post a Comment