We are prego and will be expecting a baby February 17, 2011!!
This announcement is 2 years in the making… However, the story starts 4 years ago. And since I don’t keep a journal I want to record it somewhere.
When I started medical school, I had no intention of having a baby until residency or maybe later. I didn’t think it was possible to have babies and go to medical school. However ,the beginning of 1st year of school there were 2 girls who were already pregnant, and they were not the only ones. I’ve had many classmates over the past 4 years have 1 sometimes 2 babies during school. It turns out the University of Minnesota is a wonderful medical school for women who want to have children. They are very flexible and work with your situation.
There are many times in our lives when we make decisions based on spiritual promptings and we often don’t know why that is the correct choice for us. I know that one of the reasons why we were supposed to move out here for med school was so we would realize that we didn’t have to put off having children. So John and I started talking about trying to get pregnant. For those of you who know me, know I’m a little bit of a control freak and like to plan everything. So I planned the perfect time to have a child. I scheduled my third year clinical rotations so that I would have the majority of my required rotations complete prior to having our baby. It was going to work perfectly. So June 2008 we started trying to make a baby. This may be TMI but I had been off of hormonal birth control for 2 years and have perfectly regular cycles so I didn’t think that conceiving would be very difficult. Ha! That was my first mistake.
June, July, August, and September passed with only negative pregnancy tests to show. My good friend Christina got married in October and I remember I was fertile that weekend so John and I left the wedding early but no such luck that month. November and December passed, again without success. My frustration was growing because I was doing everything perfectly. I knew it can take a while to get pregnant, but I was being exact and scientific about this. I knew the science behind conception and was doing everything by the book. Yet still no results. January came and my friend Christina, the one that got married in October, announced that she and her new husband were pregnant and got pregnant on their first try. I can honestly say I was so happy for her and so jealous at the same time. I was trying to get pregnant before she was even married and she was now pregnant. And I still had an empty uterus and multiple growing frustrations. I think January 2009 was one of the most difficult months in this process. I was taking my OBGYN clinical clerkship at this time which required me to spend time in the abortion clinic. Wow, talk about the wrong place for me to be at that time. I think I cried more that month than I had in a long time. And to top it off, if we didn’t get pregnant that month, we were going to have to take a break so I didn’t deliver during residency interviews the following fall. Well, January came and went without a positive pregnancy test. We tried for 2 more months before we took a break knowing I could push my interviews to the end of the interview season. Again no luck. I know Heavenly Father was teaching me a lesson on patience during this time
So my planning wasn’t going so well. But fortunately I had front loaded my schedule so I had a ton of time off at the end of 4th year… I had created the perfect maternity leave. Again, this seemed even more perfect than before. Yet, we hit another bump in the road as we were going to start trying again. I had some health problems in April and was told I had to put off trying to get pregnant until my problems resolved. Again, more tears and frustrations were shed during this time. I did however go through infertility work up during this time. John had a semen analysis which showed he had nothing short of Super Sperm. To quote my OBGYN, she had never seen a score as high as his. I think his super sperm thought they were so great that they were cocky and lazy. I had hormone tests and a hystersalpingogram, all normal. But my health was restored and I gave myself the go ahead to start trying again (doctors really do make the worst patients!) in July 2009. But the story didn’t change much from above. July, August, and September were again unsuccessful and I was officially infertile. The definition of infertility is the failure to conceive after a year of regular intercourse without contraception. And I felt like a failure. As a girl grows up, she never anticipates that she won’t be able to have children. We learn that Motherhood is the greatest job we can have yet I was failing at moving into this role.
I expected October to be the same as the prior months. But it wasn’t, it was different because we found out we were pregnant. You can imagine we were beyond excited. I still remember we were in New Orleans and we would be walking down the street and whisper, hey we’re pregnant! It was so exciting. We had been waiting and trying for so long. I went to my first OB appointment and it was so fun to pick up the packet of information on the Do’s and Don’ts of pregnancy and begin this process. Unfortunately a week later I started having spotting which turned into bleeding and cramping. Seriously? We finally get pregnant and then this happens… So, John and I went in for our first ultrasound together. As soon as they put the probe on, I saw a regular, empty uterus. I didn’t need her to point out that all the products of conception (such a cold, impersonal term) (aka my baby) had already passed out of my uterus, I already knew. Remember how I thought January had sucked? Yeah, this was way worse than that. Here is one lesson I learned, when your parents don’t know you are pregnant, don’t tell them you had a miscarriage by using the opening line, “So John and I got pregnant…” Because before you can break into the crappy part of the sentence about how you aren’t pregnant now, your mom starts to get excited about the pregnancy part. Then you have to burst out bawling and say, “Not anymore!” I know many of you have had miscarriages and some of you have had many. They are not fun. I just felt empty and nothing anyone could say could make me feel better. I even tried my scientific jargon about how “this percentage of pregnancies end in miscarriage” and “chromosomal abnormalities are found in half of miscarriages” and blah blah blah. It didn’t work. But the best part about nobody knowing you are pregnant is you don’t have to tell people that you aren’t pregnant any more. So that made it a little easier not having to break the news to many people.
My cycle restarted in December and we were back in business. One upside from the whole October Incident was we got pregnant. We knew we could physically get pregnant which we had not known for the 16 months prior to that. So now the next step was getting pregnant again (and hoping it wouldn’t take another 16 months) and then staying pregnant. But we went back to our old ways and had nice, normal, regular periods every month like clockwork. In March I met with my OBGYN again to discuss options. I wanted to try clomid or something because I was getting impatient with waiting and felt like every month that passed was a missed opportunity. I had put off clomid because I was aware of the increased chance of multiples with this medication but my thoughts were 2 are better than none. A single baby during residency was going to be challenging so twins would be even more so. Again we did a bunch of tests but this time we found my progesterone was low. I was actually excited to find something wrong. Because if there is something wrong, then you can do something to fix it. So the plan was we would try progesterone for 3 cycles and if that was unsuccessful, we would move onto clomid.
May 2010 was the first month of the progesterone trial. I was tracking my cycle but I wasn’t ovulating when I usually do according to the ovulation predictor kit I was using. But John and I were still trying just in case. Then I went to Nebraska and had a positive ovulation. I was heartbroken because I was away from John during my peak fertility period and it was my fault we weren’t going to get pregnant that month. In June we went to Italy. The night we got home from our trip I took a pregnancy test because the progesterone would keep me from having my period so I had to take a test, confirm it was negative, then stop the progesterone. John was getting ready for bed as I sat on the toilet and peed on the stick. Usually, I put them aside and sometimes forget about them since they are always negative. However, immediately a faint line showed up. I know that there are many false negatives on UPTs but a false positive almost never occurs. We were pregnant. John didn’t believe me until he saw the line himself. I expected the test to be negative since we had missed my highly fertile period but it wasn’t. Two years after we initially started trying, we were finally pregnant.
Our next ultrasound was a much happier experience than the first. We went in together and as soon as she put the probe on, I saw that my uterus was not empty and inside was a baby with a beating heart. It was so cool to see John’s face. He had a huge permagrin. It was the greatest! But we were still wary. We were only 7 weeks in and miscarriages are common during the first trimester. However, we survived the first trimester and the baby was still alive and growing. We slowly started to tell family the exciting news. I still am nervous though. There are so many things that can go wrong in pregnancy that you are never safe.
So now we are almost 21 weeks into the pregnancy and I finally feel like I can make the announcement. I wasn’t expecting this to turn into the novel above but now I have it documented somewhere other than my brain. So if you are still reading, I’m beyond impressed that you are still awake! I am so grateful we were able to get pregnant. I have friends and patients who are unable to conceive. I know how frustrating these past couple years have been and can’t imagine what others have to go through. I’ll try to post updates but I’m not making any promises…
20 comments:
holy smokes emily. i am SO so sorry you've had to go though all that!! we didn't really have issues conceiving with max, but after our miscarriage (before ruby), it took a bit longer than our usual conceiving window, and although not as long as your waiting period, i know how frustrating and anxious it makes you to keep trying month after month hoping for that positive sign on the test !! (or, the double line depending on what brand you're into. haha) i would never wish miscarriage upon anyone and i completely feel your pain. it hurts. deep inside so bad, huh?! ugh. so sorry. and seeing all those abortions or whatever? talk about a knife in the stomach/slap in the face. stupid abortions. i had a blighted ovum too and i remember dan couldn't come with me that appointment because he had a meeting. (the ONE and only appoinment he didnt' come to. nice timing.) anyway, so i was alone and when the dr. told me during the ultrasound, that there was no baby in there, i just started balling. saddest thing ever. and i was WEEPING on the car ride home and had to pull over so i wouldn't crash. anyway, sorry this is a novel i just feel for you, that's all. but heavenly father knows what timing is best for your family. you'll look back on it in 5 years and realize that, for one reason or another... this was the perfect timing for your family.
but most importantly i'm just SOOO excited for you guys!!! yay, yay!! congratulations!!!!!
oh, sorry i think i read that wrong... yours wasn't a blighted ovum it sounds like.
wait. hold up. you're 21 weeks? are you finding out the gender?!
p.s. here it's not really 1:44, but it is 11:44 and I need to hit the sack. sorry for my THREE comments. i'll stop commenting now. DUH i'm lame.
So happy for you guys! I think all that you've been through is only going to make you guys better parents than the rest of us :). Couldn't be happier for the mommy and daddy to be!
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Congratulations!! That is the most exciting news. I enjoyed reading the whole story because I can somewhat relate to you guys...it's so hard and sad to go through the infertility trial! You are my hero for enduring though. Congrats again!!!
1st - Happy (belated) b-day to Jon! 2nd - CONGRATULATIONS! We, too, tried for a long time, had a miscarriage (at 13 weeks), and then finally had the girl. I feel your pain and your cautious excitement!
Yay!
Thanks for sharing the whole story. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Really. After our miscarriage spent so much time guarding my feelings in case something happened that I didn't get to enjoy the experience very much. By the time I felt 'safe' it was hard to switch gears. So don't do that. Either way it's fairly out of your control so enjoy it! I'm so excited for you guys! I didn't know you were trying and thought you weren't planning on kids for awhile. I've been secretly wishing you guys would get pregnant! It worked!
I read the entire thing! Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
I am the same way about planning. We planned to get pregnant with our baby and it would be the "perfect" time and then nothing, and then when we did get pregnant it was due end of July 09. But I was just grateful to be pregnant, and then we lost that pregnancy, and then we got pregnant with Axel, and looking back that worked out so much better for us. Timing finance and everything. The Lord knows what he is doing.
At the time of my miscarriage I literally knew no one who had one, and then when I had one it was like everyone came forward and told me they had had one. And I didn't feel so broken. But it is a horrible feeling. I am sorry you had to go through that, but I agree its better to not to have to tell people you lost it. Even after we were pregant with Axel we had people ask us about our first pregnancy. It was so awkward, and I would be like oh but its ok because I am pregnant again. But it was terrible.
I am soooo excited for you guys, and why don't you know the gender yet?
When I was pregnant with Axel like Kory said we were super guarded. It was really hard to get into the pregnancy. I kept giving myself deadlines once I get to this part I will feel "safe", and then I would hear of a story of something happening to a baby at that same stage, and I would panic and run and get an ultra sound.
Then tragedy struck our family and my sister inlaw (only a few weeks behind me at the time) found out her baby had severe dwarfism, and that her baby would live only a short time on this earth. She was so brave and so fearless and just embraced the time she had with her daughter inside of her, and it was just inspiring to see that. She knew her time would be short with her but just enjoyed the time she had. Today is the anniversary of her birth and death. It was very tragic, but I learned to just enjoy what we have while we have it, it is all in the Lords hands. Easier said then done right?
Sorry if that was so long, but I am excited for you guys! And Zoe will adjust. :)
Congratulations! So surprised and happy to hear about this! My mom as well. I can't wait to hear about your pregnancy, it's such a fun journey to hear someone go through. Think of us when you take baby Sharpe to San Francisco for the first time :)
Yipeeee congrats! Our babies are going to be almost the exact same age! They can totally play together when we hang out......if we ever see you guys again. I'm sorry about the hard time, I know how depressing that can be. So I'm glad you got through it!
Congratulations to the both of you! Parenthood is such an adventure. :)
Sorry about the pain and struggles you had to go through. I remember how powerless I would feel after my own miscarriages and all the tears....
You are superwoman Emily.
Exciting news! Congrats to the both of you!
Congratz!!! That is so Great. Do you know what your having? Good Luck!
Congratulations! You'll make such a great Mom!!
Oh Emily!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you! Although it doesn't look like it now, David and I have been down that same road! Its such an emotional rollercoaster! There is nothing like trying for so long and finally getting pregnant only to miscarry. We will be forever grateful for clomid! Please keep us posted. Did you find out what you are having yet? John's camera is going to love that baby!!!!!!!!!!! SO, SO, SO happy for you both!
And now I really wish David had matched at Mayo!
Congrats!! I'm so excited for you both, I think you will be wonderful parents!
What a hard journey to go through. I had a miscarriage before Isaac--we went in for an ultrasound, and the baby was still there, but had no heartbeat. It was terrible. I heard the medical jargon as you say, but it doesn't help because for me, it isn't personal. Percentages of miscarriages only helps in a very general way.
The only silver lining I could possibly find from that experience is that I truly would love each of my children with all my heart, because they are a gift. And I would never take getting pregnant and staying pregnant for granted.
I really am so happy for you guys, good luck with the rest of the pregnancy--so excited to see you post about February 17th!
Emily! I am so happy for you! As I was reading your post I felt like I was reading my very own story...except for the miscarriage part. My husband and I have been trying for 17 months...nothing. We've had the initial work up and everything looks fine and I have normal regular periods like you. Thank you for giving me hope! Congrats again! :)
Oh Emily congratulations! Motherhood is truly the best- my little Norah brings me more joy than I can ever describe. I am so excited for you and John! Every time I read your blog I have hoped for an announcement like this! You and John will be fantastic parents!
Oh my goodness you guys. I am so freaking happy for the both of you. It sounds like you've been through a lot as well. So I'm sure you can breath easy now. Emily, I would love to chat with you sometime. So email me your number when you get a chance. frampj1@yahoo.com
-Janelle
Post a Comment