Friday, August 1, 2008

Weeks 3 & 4

I've been so busy I didn't have time to post last week's stats! So here's the last two weeks...

Week 3:
I was on the colorectal (CR) surgery service this week. The attendings and fellow I worked with were great. One attending had many great proctologist jokes.

Total Hours: 84
Most consecutive Hours worked: 27.0
Number of times I was yelled at: still 0; THANK GOODNESS!
Number of days at the hospital: 20 out of 21 possible.
Surgeries: None - unfortunately the CR service only operates on Tuesdays and we have lecture and labs at the University on Tuesday. So no surgery for me. . .
Cool procedures I did: Nothing really. No surgeries and no procedures. I just had a bunch of clinic and rounding.

Here's a link to the colorectal surgeon song. The clip is less than 3 minutes and well worth it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N0w2rORwSc

Week 4:
After spending 2 weeks in the surgical specialties I wasn't looking foward to returning to general surgery. However, this week was probably the best week of my rotation so far.

Total Hours: only 67.5 (This will be my first weekend that I have both Friday and Saturday off. I finally had a call night during the week.)
Most consecutive Hours worked: 30.5
Number of times I was yelled at: 0
Number of days at the hospital: 25 out of 26. (After working 26 days with only one day off, I am looking forward to this weekend!)
Surgeries: Hemicolectomy, melanoma excision x 2, exploratory laparoscopy, spigellian hernia repair, lipoma excision, recurrent retroperitoneal sarcoma excision.
Cool things I did: I Diagnosed a pneumothorax! Yeah, it was the highlight of my week. During my physical exam of my patient I notice he had subcutaneous emphysema (aka air under the skin). The intern told me it was no big deal but I brought it up during rounds anyway. Well the chief resident thought it was worth getting a chest xray and he had a small pneumothorax. My patient called it "Emily's bubble" because I was the only one that found it!

3 comments:

Connie and Brandon said...

Yah Emily!!! Awesome job on your diagnosis and catch with the SQ air. You are such a great MD already. You have such insane hours and I really admire you and all the hard work you put in. You are amazing!! Keep it up.

Connie and Brandon said...

P.S. Gotta love that colorectal surgeon song. Oh the days of anatomy. I love it and miss it. Kind of- I am glad for the new lives we have and wouldn't change it, but we had so much fun in anatomy and hanging out in the lab!

Sie said...

Will it make me a bad mom to say that I am totally jealous? Honestly, I'm not looking forward to postponing my third year (by expanding my second). Isn't third year the fun year? Oh well, everyone says motherhood is totally worth it so I guess we'll have to see! I love reading about what you're doing though, it gives me something to look forward to! Good work champ!