Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sometimes...

I love medical school. I really do. I often hear some of my attendings talk about how they hated med school. I don't, I really love it. I have had the most amazing experiences and met the coolest people. And I am living my dream!

But some days are better than others. And some days are worse. Like today when my last patient came in with shortness of breath. About 15 minutes before my shift was over we got a call from the radiologist that she most likely has stage IV lung cancer. I kept hoping that this was just a COPD exacerbation or a pneumonia, but once I saw her hyponatremia (low sodium), I knew something was wrong. And I was right, unfortunately.

So, why does it hurt so bad when I don't even know this patient?

Another reminder of how grateful I am for my health and my family.

Still, I am ready for today to be over...

3 comments:

Ashley Koz said...

Your going to be a amazing doctor, your a inspiration to me. Anything is possible

Cravings said...

I don't know how you do it. You are amazing. I know I would be in tears everyday. I'm a freaking cry baby!

Connie and Brandon said...

I'm glad you love it and you are going to be the best MD ever! That's so sad about your patient. We see way too many of those on my floor unfortunately. If they are operable, it's a miserable surgery/recovery.