Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Surgery Log - Week 1

One of my friends, Kristen, is doing a weekly log of her running miles. She is training for the Twin Cities Marathon (Good luck Kristen!!). Although I don't run anymore at all, I do feel as though I am currently in a marathon, a little place I like to call my Surgery rotation. I wish it was all fun and Gray's Anatomy-esque, but it's not (Our call rooms don't even have bunk beds!). Don't get me wrong, surgery is extremely interesting and fascinating, I am just tired and overwhelmed. I feel as though I have so much to learn and I don't know where to start. Plus I'm at the hospital all the time and don't have time/energy to study at night. I just have to say I have a very patient husband (I love you!). I'm also grateful for the people I'm working with on this rotation.

So here are the stats for the previous week:

Week 1:
Total Hours: 86.5
Hours spent commuting (no rushhour at 5am, obviously, but coming home can be a different story): 5 hours
Most consecutive Hours worked: 29.5
Time my 1st alarm goes off in the morning: 0420, 2nd alarm: 0425, and my last 2 alarms: 0430.
Time I leave my house: 0500 - 0515
Number of times I was yelled at: thankfully 0
Number of times I felt lost/useless: continuously.
Number of times I wanted to scream/cry/sleep: infinity
Number of consecutive days at the hospital: 11
Surgeries: recurrent ventral hernia repair, tenckhoff catheter removal
Cool procedures I did: pulled chest tube, sutured laceration.

I'm beginning to see the busy side of medical school!

7 comments:

Kory said...

It makes me want to puke just thinking about doing all that. But if you ever need to practice your surgeries, I'll volunteer.

Emily said...

Volunteering for surgery is an unwise move on your part... I can't promise you will have all body parts when finished. I can however sew up any lacerations you have!

Kelli Radmall said...

oh my word-that is a really tough schedule! You are a trooper.

Karen said...

Good luck Emily. Before you know it, you will be done with school and be the new intern. Look forward to your fourth year, it seemed like David had a lot more time. At his graduation, one of the students called it the most expensive and longest vacation they had ever had. Tuition and interview expenses. I honestly don't know how doctors function sometimes. With so little sleep and doing such important things.

Amy said...

Yikes! that is so overwhelming! How intense. I am a little disappointed to here that Greys Anatomy is not an accurate depiction of being a surgeon! Good luck with all your studies and say lots of prayers!

Kory said...

Maybe I'll get in a knife fight then.

Emily said...

Kory, good idea. And remember: the more stabs you get, the more practice I get!