Sunday, July 20, 2008

2 Down . . . 4 To Go!

Well I survived my second week of my surgery clerkship. The way my schedule worked out, I was supposed to be working everyday until August 2. Fortunately my chief resident realized this and gave me today off!! I am so happy to have a break!

This week I was on the cardiothoracic surgery service. It was a fun service to work with. I am really sad I was only able to spend one week with them. It's absolutely amazing to see the heart beating and how intricate the surgeries are. I also was able to feel a lung inflate and lung cancer nodules. I am starting to get the hang of things, I think. I didn't feel completely lost this week and I am also learning to function on less sleep. Now I just need to find time to study for the shelf...

Here are the stats for the week...

Week 2:
Total Hours: 77.5 (Less than 80 thanks to my day off today!!!)
Most consecutive Hours worked: 31.5
Number of times I was yelled at: thankfully still 0; however, I did have a patient that was VERY upset I woke him up at 6am. Let's just say he was less than cooperative.
Number of consecutive days at the hospital: 13
Surgeries: coronary artery bypass (CAB), aortic valve repair (AVR), pacemaker placement, AVR & CAB & MVR (mitral valve repair), lobectomy.
Cool procedures I did: pulled more chest tubes, helped close on a thoracotomy case.

Next week: colorectal surgery here I come!!

5 comments:

Diana and Jon said...

Wow! you sound really busy! How much are you getting to sleep? You guys should totally come and visit. We have a pull-out couch in a little living room waiting for you if you want to stay with us!

Kory said...

Colorectal. I'm not volunteering for that.

Connie and Brandon said...

Em! I love CT surgery. Cardiac is the best. I remember the first surgery I ever saw was a CABGxsomething. It was awesome. I think I am completely biased because I work the cardiac floor, but all the surgeries you saw make up the best area of practice!! I am glad you enjoyed it:))
BTW, I am the CT Surgery rep for the nursing staff on my floor so I most definitely enjoy this area.

Christy said...

Hey Emily!! It's so so good to see how you are doing! I will be adding you to my blog if that's okay. Love ya!

Sie said...

Emily, I am dying to hear more about how medical school is going for you! We've never really caught up since I got home. Are you going to Utah any time soon? As you know, I'm about to start my second year soon. Back at BYU I knew I would love medical school but I never realized how much I would love it! And, Noah and I went to the Maccaroni Grill the other night which reminded me of our celebration after we all took the MCAT/DAT. That feels like so long ago! Anyway, shoot me an email sometime! Love you!

sierra.dabell@gmail.com