Sunday, June 1, 2008

What to do with spare time?

This week has not been too exciting. Emily has continued her busy schedule of studying for her boards. Only 4 days (Thursday) till she takes her boards! It will definitely be nice to have my wife back. Em has been so busy, she only leaves the house to walk the dog and go to church. For the most part she spends days at a time studying without leaving the house. That said, this past week has given me a lot of alone time for me to think about life in general. I have been thinking about how fast time flies. I realize that I need to be more effective with my time. I hate to admit it, but I spend way too much time watching TV. Such a bad habit. I have resolved to make the best of my time. I need to develop talents I've been given instead of wasting time watching TV or playing the XBOX.

This week I spent a lot of time studying after work, but with the remaining time I had available I have decided to work on my photography. During high school, I constantly was involved with photography. However, over the past 8 years, I have really fallen out of touch with this hobby. I don't know what it is about photography, but it is so inspiring for me. The ability to capture the world as I see it...is so rewarding. For example, here are some lone lily pads that I saw while on my walk. I imagine most people would not take the time to photograph a lily pad. There was something charming about these lily pads that made me want to photograph them.






Since Em has been swamped with studying this week, I went on a spree of picture taking. On Memorial Day, I took Zoe to Lake Phalen to walk around. Zoe had a blast picking up every stick, she even hopped in the water once. She was filthy when I got home. The pictures prove this.



Apolgize, this blog is somewhat boring, but in all honesty, this week was somewhat boring. In fact, I decided to take self-portraits today while Em studied. I discovered that taking self-portraits is more difficult than I expected. Nevertheless, it helped pass time today.







I'm curious to hear from everyone else...What do you do to pass the time?

6 comments:

Randi said...

I found your guys blog! Very fun, I love all the pictures. I just got a camera but nothing turns out like your stuff, did you get a special lens? Anyways our blog is chadandrandi.blogspot.com. Tell Em hi and good luck on her boards for me and my family!

Jordan Duke said...

Hello! I assume, Johnny, you are the one posting here? Self portraits are more difficult than you would think. What kind of camera do you use?

Kory said...

I'm jealous of your camera skills. Do you still play guitar? That's what I do with my spare time. When I used to have spare time. Now it all goes to fixing our house.

Our EyreLife said...

Hey John and Emily!

We certainly have a lot to do now that we have a baby...maybe that would fill your time. :) ha ha. Doesn't sound like that fits your lifestyle right now!

Photography is wonderful...and it looks like you've got an eye for it! We'll look forward (if its alright by you) to check in on your photography and your lives now and then. You're welcome to visit us, too.

http://eyrelife.blogspot.com

Good luck on those boards, Emily!

Jessie (Nichols), Dustin, and Wyatt Eyre

Amy said...

I love that Lilly pad picture! How much would you charge for a print of it? Kory and I are remodeling and I would love to put that print in our bathroom...or somewhere else in our house. I am with you on the whole TV watching thing. Add to that to spending too much time on blogs, and facebook and thats how I feel, I am feeling the pains of wanting to be adventurous but I too find myself spending too much of my time in front of the TV...I blame my job... but anyway yeah awesome pictures keep it up!

Mark and Aubrey said...

Emily, how did the boards go? I am very excited for you. Juno is definately a movie I've been waiting to see though Mark refuses so it will have to be a recovery movie for after the baby, thanks for the tip. :)