Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." - Mark Twain


I am ashamed to admit it, but growing up I too thought my father was ignorant and that I knew it all. It's amazing how time has wisened me up. My dad has taught me so many lessons about life. Here are just a few reasons/lessons that I'm so grateful for my dad:


  1. My dad has always taught me a penny saved is a penny earned: it's true. I have learned the value of money from my father. You don't need to be cheap to save, you just have to be smart with the money you have.

  2. Don't live beyond your means. This lesson has been a lifesaver and has makes our lives a lot less stressful.

  3. Don't be afraid to do-it-yourself. My dad has never been hesitant to do something himself, whether it be fixing a swamp cooler, installing a ceiling fan, or running a successful photography business. If you think you can do it yourself...you probably can.

  4. Don't be shy...be friendly My dad is not afraid to talk to anybody. When I was younger, I used to get embarrased when he would talk to anyone and everyone about anything. He never worries about talking to strangers. I found that being friendly to anyone and everyone has been so helpful in my career.

  5. Last I'm grateful for the great relationship I have with my dad. Since moving out to Minnesota two years ago, I have realized the truthfulness of the expression "Absence makes the heart grow fonder". I call and talk to my dad at least 4-6 times a week. Usually, while fighting rush-hour traffic, we talk. I look forward to our conversations.

My list of lessons from my dad could go on and on, but these are just a few.


Happy Father's Day DAD!


2 comments:

Amy said...

Hey that quote was given in the sacrament meeting talk at my parents ward. haha! Your dad looks hip...

Kory said...

I had a dream the other night that your dad was helping me do some plumbing in my house. He wanted to do everything the long way. I was getting frustrated because I wanted to do it the fast way. He said it would be too much work. Weird? I thought so.