Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Delivery

A quick recap of Eliza’s delivery story:

On Friday, February 4 I had my 38 week appointment with my OB. I left work and told everyone I would see them on Monday. One of my attendings pointed out I might not see them on Monday if I went into labor. I laughed since I was sure I was going to go past my due date. During my appointment, I was dilated 2cm and my OB stripped my membranes. Saturday I treated like it was my last day without a child (little did I know how true that was) so I slept in, cleaned, and did a bunch of errands.

John and I went to bed around 11 pm. Shortly after we went to bed, I started  having contractions. I woke John up and made him start timing my contractions. We downloaded an app on our phones which was made to time contractions and was VERY helpful.

0005-untitled shoot

I told him earlier that day he needed to pack a bag for the hospital which he didn’t but once the contractions started he jumped out of bed and started getting things together! We both were in shock since we didn’t expect her to come early. Around 12:30am I called L&D for advice when I should come in. My contractions were about every 5 minutes and they told me to come in when the contractions were closer together, approx every 3 minutes. So I stayed at home because I did NOT want to get sent home from the hospital. Around 5am I told John I was sick of the contractions and it was time to go in. So we got our stuff together, John took Zoe outside, and I did some laundry. We got to the hospital and I was dilated to 4cm and was relieved they weren’t going to send me back home. Lucky for me, my OB was on call during that weekend.

Working through a contraction:0004-untitled shoot

I labored for a few more hours and then when I was dilated to 5-6cm I decided it was time for an epidural. I am going into anesthesia and will be giving epidurals as part of my job but I never realized how amazing they were! I was in so much pain with my contractions and vomiting from the pain. Then as soon as the epidural was placed (around 9am) the pain was mostly gone. I had planned on getting an epidural but didn’t know when was the appropriate time to ask for one. I could still feel pressure but I could now relax. When nurses would walk into my room they would mention I must have an epidural because I was smiling. So I am a big fan of epidurals and will be requesting them on subsequent children.

.0052-untitled shoot

0048-untitled shoot

 

My dilation had slowed so I was placed on pitocin. Around noon they ruptured my membranes. And then at 3pm I was complete and started pushing. I have been in many deliveries and have helped moms push, but it is so different being on the opposite end of the table. It is hard to figure out the correct way to push. After one hour I was still doing fine and didn’t feel too exhausted. However, as time went on, I was getting tired with pushing. Also, Eliza’s heart rate would drop when I pushed which was scary. All I wanted was to get her out safely. My OB asked John if he wanted to help deliver the baby. John is very queasy around blood and so I didn’t think he would even want to cut the umbilical cord but he gowned up so he could catch her.  Finely, after one hour and forty minutes of pushing and a large episiotomy, Eliza was born at 4:41pm. Dr. Goralski delivered her head and shoulders and John pulled the rest of the body out and put her on my belly. He also cut the umbilical cord and never passed out!!

Eliza’s First Picture, captured by my mom (notice John’s gooey hand in the bottom of the frame from pulling Miss Eliza out)0024-eliza_birth

John cutting the umbilical cord0027-eliza_birth

It was the most amazing feeling in the whole wide world. This little girl I had been carrying around for 9 months was finely here and I could meet her. I could not believe how much hair she had. And the best part was seeing John with her. He was so amazing! I would just stare at her and think, wow, we made this. And also, I just pushed this peanut out of me! She weighed 7 lb 5 oz and I was grateful she came early because I had a hard enough time getting her out, I can’t imagine if she would have been bigger. It was amazing that I could love something so much even though we had just met.

She was so purple at first. 0102-untitled shoot

3 comments:

Erin said...

So awesome Emily!! Great job and congratulations. I think giving birth to your first baby is seriously one of the most amazing things you will ever experience. She is SO beautiful, just like her mommy! :)

Connie and Brandon said...

Awesome birth story! You are amazing Emily. Congrats again!!!

Christina said...

Thanks for sharing your labor story! Obviously I was really interested in all the details. I'm so impressed you came in at 4 cm and waited a while to get an epidural. A+ job!!!!