Friday, January 14, 2011

Names

I am 35 weeks now! I can’t believe we only have about 5 weeks left. This pregnancy has gone by really fast. I’m sure it helps to be eternally busy with residency. I am so excited to meet this little girl and terrified at the same time.

Everyone has been asking if we have any names picked out and honestly we don’t. We talked about some names when we first got pregnant but haven’t revisited the subject. We definitely need to get moving on this soon. In the interim, we have been referring to the baby using names we enjoy. I’m sure I’ll offend people here but some people do not think before naming their child. Here is a list of some of our favorite names (All names listed below are real):

-Ladynasty: Could be read as lady nasty but is pronounced La-Dynasty

-Sharkina: We thought we could help our child out with her future career. This name is perfect for a future marine biologist or a Discovery Channel Shark Week producer.

-Chatonya: I’ve seen a lot of names with the prefix “La,” but this is very unique adding a “Cha” in front of names. This is a real name but imagine the possibilities if you were to add “Cha” to any number of little girl names.

-La-a: And this is the name we actually use when we refer to our daughter. I think it is my favorite. It looks like a simple name but the beauty is in the pronunciation. There is no silent punctuation in this name… you need to pronounce all the characters, including the dash. So pronunciation is: Ladasha. You know when someone named their child this they thought they were clever. However, what about scantron tests where you have to fill in the bubbles corresponding to the letters in your name… last test I took did not have the option of a dash.

This list could go on to include names I haven’t personally seen but heard from others: Damoney, Shithead (pronounced Shitheed), Gonorrhea, etc.

So, what are some of your favorite names?  I would like to hear both fun and serious names because I am not naming my child La-a and that is the only name we have for right now! Oh and middle names are helpful as well!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Get moving! Seriously, I had Axel at 35 1/2 weeks, don't procrastinate it any longer.

We are naming our daughter Danielle, but calling her Dani, that is the only girl name we can both agree on and have had it picked when we were first picking names for Axel.

I really like these other names for girls:

Andy (Probably one of my favorites)

Ariel(yeah, I like the little mermaid)

Charlie (I think you spell it with a Y for girls, but this is my grandfathers name, and I really like it for a girl)

Audrie (as in Hepburn)

Maize

Kory said...

Kory is a transgender name that will only destine them for greatness. Other names... Razor (Razor Sharpe), Nicen, or even hella. Kory is definitely the best choice.

Karen said...

Rob saw a Chlamydia while he was working in Japan. The nurses tried to explain what it meant in English but they didn't care.....they thought it sounded so beautiful! These are the remaining names on my girl list.....Eden, Anna, Emily. And these are the ones I like but can't use thanks to our millions of siblings......Ava, Claire & Emma. Good luck!

Amanda said...

Our girl names for Luke were

Sadie
Bridget

I love them both. I wanted to use Jae's mom's name "Sue" as the middle name. Sadie Sue is just so cute to me!

I think your friend Kory cornered the market on crazy :)