Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Valentine's Day Tradition

I was on call Friday night at the hospital. During my call night earlier this week I was able to get to sleep by midnight. I didn't sleep very well though because I was cold and also kept waking up about every 40-60 minutes worried I was going to sleep in and not hear my alarm. I also had dreams my pager kept going off. Well Friday one of my patients was really sick and I was up until 4:45 getting things set up for her. I went straight up to my call room as soon as I could so I could get at least 2 hours before I had to wake up again. I double checked my alarm on my phone (I actually set 3 alarms on my phone) then fell asleep.

Well, I did not wake up once and slept really well. My pager went off before my phone did and I thought it was odd but then I realized I felt too rested to have had less than 2 hours of sleep. I looked at the time and it said 8:55! I was being paged because I wasn't there for rounds! My phone accidently was turned to silent. This was so bad. Here I worked so hard all week to make a good impression on my team then I sleep through rounds. I returned the page and it was the nephrology fellow telling me where I could meet up with the rest of the team. I was so frazzled that my presentation about my patient was probably disjointed and I hadn't been able to see her that morning or check on her morning labs. This was a horrible start to Feb. 14. Fortunately my resident was so nice about it. I still don't know what the attending thought about it. Oh well... I finished up my work and notes and left the hospital a little after 11:00 am.

I came home to a clean house and a dozen beautiful roses sitting on my kitchen table. It was a nice welcome home especially after my nightmare morning. John had a couple wedding consultations but was home shortly after. We hung out for a couple hours checking email and doing nothing. Although I had inadvertently slept 2 extra hours, I still had only slept for 4 hours and I was exhausted. So we went upstairs for a nap. This was probably my favorite part of the day.

My roses

I worked as a waitress for probably 7 years before going to medical school. John and I worked together at Outback for the first 2 years we were married. Valentine's Day is the busiest day of the year in restaurants and NOBODY ever gets the day off. So we officially hate (strong word but I mean it) going out on Valentine's Day. So our first year not working in the restaurant business (3 years ago) we had no desire to go out to eat. I had class late and came home to a wonderful meal John had cooked for me. It was a total surprise. He had grilled Filet Mignon and garlic shrimp with balsamic asparagus on the side. The food was better than restaurant food. And of course a dozen roses waiting for me on the table again. He had also made me a playlist of music to listen to during dinner. It was the best Valentine's Day and so romantic. The next year (last year) I came home to find the same thing.

Well this year John told me it was my turn to host Valentine's Day. I told him I was going to be post-call so I wasn't going to have much energy to do much. I was thinking about doing take-out from our favorite Indian restaurant or something. Well, when I woke up from my nap, John had the same dinner all ready to cook. He is the best. So I guess we've created a tradition that we will carry on every year.

Our delicious dinner. Good work hubs! You are the best!

Also, I just bought new glasses! I'm excited about them since I've had the same pair since John and I were first married.

This is my "I'm post-call, don't have make-up on , but I love you anyway so yes you can try out your lighting" look.

So, do you have any Valentine's Day Traditions? What is your favorite Valentine's Day memory? I would love to hear...

5 comments:

Connie and Brandon said...

I don't have any V-day traditions or anything. It seems like I always work on that day. At least it's on the heart floor:). But, I have to tell you that the dinner John made looks incredible. Definitely better than restaurant food in the looks dept and I will take your word for it in the taste dept. Glad you had a good day, you guys are a great couple!

Anonymous said...

Robert and I always get Chinese takeout because that is how we spent our first Valentines Day together and he proposed over Chinese food. So I guess for us Valentines Day = Orange Chicken. =)

Erin said...

that food looks soooo delicious!! very impressive there john!

cute glasses emily. i like em!

MaryAnn said...

We do different things, but my favorite part is the valentines I get from my kids. I also love to watch the girls when Bob gives them thier gifts, usualy a piece of jewelry. It makes Bob so happy to see them so excited. This year, we checked in to the Provo Marrott and I got to sleep in.....that was nice! Johnny's meal looks devine! I love quite nights at home. We sure miss you guys! Love ya

Amy said...

How fun! Not the sleeping in part, but the rest of the day. Kory and I are kinda lame when it comes to Valentines day, but one thing we always do is go to our favorite Thai restaurant, it is never more than a 15 minute wait on valentines day. Each year it gets busier, and it was a lot more crazy this year than it normally was but it was still fun. Your food looks delicious!