Sunday, February 22, 2009

Close Call

Yesterday started out like any other call day. I woke up early, got ready, made sure I had my call bag ready, and kissed my sleeping husband good bye. The prior night it had snowed and the side streets were not plowed, but once I was on the freeway the roads were plowed and clear.

I'm currently rotating at HCMC (Hennepin County Medical Center) in downtown Minneapolis. During the week I take a different route than I took yesterday morning. The 94 freeway has the worst traffic and even though it is a slightly shorter distance, during the week it takes longer than my preferred route. Howevever, it was 7am on a Saturday and I knew traffic on 94 was not going to be a problem.

The road was well plowed and I was moving along with the flow of traffic. I was driving in the far right outside lane. When 94 crosses the Mississippi River, the outside lane turns into an "exit only" lane for the next exit. I had forgotten this so as soon as I saw the sign I tried to get over to the other lane. I checked the next lane over but a car was there and I couldn't get over. However, when I looked back straight ahead I realized the lane I was in was no longer plowed.

Well I was going way too fast for a non-plowed road and I lost control of my car. It was terrifying as I felt my car swerve to the left and then back to right and then the next thing I knew my car was pointed in the opposite direction of traffic. I felt so helpless as my car was sliding and scared that I would either crash into the side of the bridge (there is no shoulder) or get hit by a car in another lane. Well neither happened. And by some miracle all the cars I had been riding with continued along and during the slide I was the only car on that part of the road. As soon as my car stopped, I saw a couple cars coming toward me but I had enough distance to turn my car around and continue to the hospital.

I was definitely shaken up by this experience. My heart was pounding and I was literally shaking all over. After I had parked my car in the parking garage I had to walk down the stairs and my knees were shaking so hard it was difficult to walk.

I have been in a couple fender-benders but have been fortunate enough to never have been involved in a big accident. Well, I thought for a split second that Saturday was going to be my first. I think it is a miracle that nothing happened and we (my car and I) drove away physically unharmed. Next time I pray thanking our Heavenly Father that John and I were able to travel to and from work and school safely, this phrase will have new meaning!!

10 comments:

Karen said...

So glad to hear you are okay. I believe Heavenly Father watches out for us more than we will ever know. And especially when you are literally on the errand of angels...helping all those in the hospital who you become an angel too.

Ashley Koz said...

OH MY! driving in icy conditions can be soooooo scary, i'm so glad your ok

Jenn Lunt said...

Im so glad that you are okay! Be careful in those snowy conditions!

MaryAnn said...

So glad you are safe. That out of control feeling is AWEFULL!!!! Thnak goodness spring is growing near.

allegra said...

this post gave me goosebumps just reading it. i'm glad you're safe!! it's so amazing how miracles happen like that. i remember having a similar incident like that back in college, driving through logan canyon. it was a blizzard and i lost control, doing four full circles on the freeway...i was going so fast..these weren't slow circles. after i was done spinning, my car was somehow faced in the right direction, and i hadn't crashed into any cars that were next to me or behind me, or in the opposite lanes. (and there were a LOT of cars on the road). i felt protected. I know you were that day too.

oh, so scary. glad you're ok!

Erin said...

thats sooo scary! I'm glad you are ok!

Emily said...

So today we are having a big snow storm. I made sure to drive extra careful. There were a couple times I found myself driving a little fast and I slowed down. I think I have learned my lesson! I am grateful for those little miracles in our lives.

Mark and Aubrey said...

I'm so glad that you are okay. It's funny how such scary experiences like that remind us of how blessed we are everday just to be alive.

Billy and Carolyn said...

That sounds so scary! It makes me realize how much I don't miss driving on the snowy Utah roads!

Diana and Jon said...

Wow I am so glad you didn't get hurt! It's is so hard to imagine snow right now...February is like the warmest time of the year in SF!