Monday, December 13, 2010

Baby Carriers

I would love your opinions again...

Baby Carriers.

Which baby carrier have you used and what do you think about it? I've read the Baby Bjorn is great but once baby gets >15 pounds or so it hurts your back. Any thoughts? Which model do you recommend? Anyone use an Ergo Carrier? Or other carriers I need to know about.

Okay, thanks in advance for your expert advice!

9 comments:

Kristin said...

There's tons of fancy wrap like carriers, but they always freak me out because I think if for some chance I tied the wrong know my baby might go flying out... but I'm the wrong person to ask on those because I've never tried them.... but I have heard they're amazing.

I do love the bjorn. It's a hefty price tag, but it is a lot more comfortable than our "jeep" carrier. We got our jeep for like 20 dollars, for as little as we use it, it's just fine, but it does hurt your back after awhile.

My other thought is.... any front carrier will hurt your back after 15 pounds... I'd move to a side carrier then.

Happy Searching!

carly said...

I have never commented before but I found your blog through a friend but I have to say just go with the bjorn, don't even bother with any other carriers. Personally the wraps/slings scare me, I don't remember the brand but there was a wrap that was taken off the market because babies were suffocating in them. With that said, I do know ppl. who love them.

Congrats on the baby and the Mayo. My brother in law is starting a fellowship at the Mayo this summer.

jeff and alli said...

We have a snuggli (similar to a bjorn but cheaper) and it does start to get heavy after a bit, but convenient.

We also use a moby wrap (bought it on craigslist). It is pretty much a huge amount of fabric that you can wrap around your body and put your baby in there. I really like it. I just used it yesterday with Isla, she is 9 months, and my back felt good. I like that there are different ways you can put your baby in, facing you, facing out, lying down, high or low...and we haven't had any accidents with it all of a sudden unwrapping and the fabric is such that the baby can still breath.

We use both of our carriers depending on our mood. And like them both. I agree with Kristin, as the baby gets heavier, you are going to feel it. But I think I feel it less with the moby wrap.

Erin said...

I like the bjorn for when they are little, but they do hurt your back after a bit. I hear the lumbar support ones are better, but still hurt after a certain amount of weight/time.

The Ergos are great when they get a little bigger, although I hate how you can't face baby out, and so did my babies. Who wants to stare at moms chest all day? But the Ergo puts all the weight on your hips which is great.

I also have a moby, but it is so wierd and hard to use. Wouldn't really recommend it.

There really isn't a perfect carrier... You just have to pick your poison. Oh and the Ergo has an infant insert too, although I never tried that...

Sie said...

Okay, so I got a pretty nice bjorn from a friend, and though I didn't spend any money on it, I think its worth the price. My back never hurt in it and it has a nice "lumbar back piece". We went to Peru when Norah was 6 month and just carried her around in it the entire time. Also, your body is getting stronger as your baby grows inside you and you'll get stronger as you carry your baby around it in.

I had a moby wrap that my friend suggested but I never ended up using it because, like some of the other comments, I was afraid I didn't tie it right and it never felt as secure.

Anyway, happy days ahead!

love you guys!

Amy said...

Someone gave me a carrier, Eddie Bauer one, and I loved it when Axel got a little bigger. I didn't have one for when he was tiny, I wish I had and will be getting one for this next kid.

But the Eddie Bauer one has great back support, and even when he got older and I was able to flip him around to look out and attached toys to the front for him to entertain himself. I even mowed the lawn in it once.

I used it A LOT. I loved it, and I made one of those wrap things, and the kid hated it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily,
These kind of carriers are cool because you can use them at all stages of your baby. I still use it for Lily as a hip carrier.

Go to: https://www.sevenslings.com/
Promo Code that makes it free (plus $15 shipping): babies

We used the baby bjorn also but stopped once she got heavy. Because we are also big hikers we got a Kelty frame back-pack which you can use once they can hold their heads up. It's awesome and Robert has no problem using it.

Unknown said...

I HIGHLY recommend the Moby wrap (or any wrap style carrier for that matter.) The Moby wrap was probably our best baby purchase and I recommend it to all new moms. The great thing about the Moby wrap is that it is very versatile. You can learn how to wrap it in many different ways so it can be used as a front carrier, hip hold, or even on your back. There is even a way to tie it so you can carry twins! Once you learn how to tie the Moby properly, it really distributes the weight of your baby across your shoulders, hips and back. No thin, back pack like straps digging into your shoulders as baby gets bigger and heavier!
Desmond is a year old now and just over 23 pounds and I can still use the Moby comfortably. I got the Moby once Desmond was about 5 months old. I wish I had it when he was a newborn. "Baby wearing" is an excellent way to calm a fussy newborn, hands free!
The most difficult thing about the Moby is learning how to tie it. I recommend checking out a store location that sells the Moby wrap. Have a representative show you some different ways to tie it. Check out the Store Peapods, on Snelling, in St. Paul.
With a little practice, and some patience, I promise that this is an excellent carrier, and not at all scary! I felt like Desmond was twice as secure in the Moby wrap than in the Baby Bjorn.
I hope this info helps. You may have to try a few different carriers out to see what works best for you.
I've tried everything from the Bjorn carrier and other front carriers, a sling carrier (which has been recalled)and even some other wrap-style carriers, by far, I've liked the Moby the best. If the idea of a "wrap" scares you, look at a Mei Tai Baby carrier. I have a friend who has both the Mei Tai and the Moby. While the Mei Tai is easier to put on, she says that it isn't as comfortable as the Moby.

http://www.mobywrap.com/
http://www.peapods.com/
http://www.meitaibaby.com/

Kelli said...

I really liked the Angel Pack.